Monday, September 19, 2011

Reading Aloud

While reading this weeks article by NAEYC & IRA, I felt like I responded the most the the section about reading aloud to children.  In this article it says "The single most important activity for building these understandings and skills essential for reading success appears to be reading aloud to children (Wells 1985; Bus, Van Ijzendoorn, & Pellegrini 1995).  After taking Information Sciences 330, I think I definitely agree with this statement.  Before a child can read they are often read to.  Stories contain a wider range of vocabulary than a normal conversation would have.  Asking questions throughout a read aloud story can help support a child's comprehension of the story.  Children enjoy talking about a story after the book is finished and this helps develop their communication skills as well.  When children are read to, they develop listening skills, vocabulary, and memory skills.  They also establish a positive attitude towards reading.  Here are a few examples of great read alouds that my Information Sciences 330 teacher suggested: 
     Cover Art: Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs Cover Art: I Will Never Not Ever Eat a Tomato
Cover Art: Owen and Mzee : the True Story of a Remarkable Friendship Cover Art: The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs Cover Art: Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus


These are just a few examples of great read alouds.  Some of the types of stories that make great read alouds are common stories in different versions, stories with patterns, interactive stories, and rhyming stories. 

Jan Brett the author who wrote     has a great website of activities to do with her books: Jan Brett's website

2 comments:

  1. Reading aloud to children not only hooks their interest in reading, it also shows kids how to read fluently (which we'll talk about this week). This is a great list of read-alouds. I love that you showed us the pictures of the covers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love how you showed us the covers of the books. Seeing them reminded me of how I read many of them as a child. I hope to use the same books to excited the children in my classroom about reading.

    ReplyDelete