Friday, September 9, 2011

Emergent Literacy

When children come to school to start kindergarten, they bring their previous literacy experiences.  No one child has the same level of exposure to literacy.  Teachers need to prepare for all sorts of literary backgrounds.  I really enjoyed the article by Bell & Jarvis (2002).  I thought that this article had some great approaches and ways of thinking about reading and writing.  I especially liked the part about showing children that they could already read, that reading was about making sense of things, and showing children how to use the words they already know.  I also really responded to the part about showing children the different ways to write. I think that this method of teaching shows the children that every single one of them are writers and gives them the confidence to be able to express themselves.    
 

These are some of the writing forms you might see as a teacher.

4 comments:

  1. Katie, I love this digital copy of the stages of emergent writing! Where did you get this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found it on a primary school's website. Here is the address: http://www.aylesfordprimary.co.uk/page_viewer.asp?category=The+Stages+of+Emergent+Writing&sid=196

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also thought the picture you posted were great examples of children's writings! It's really interesting to see these examples and compare it to children I know now and see what stages they might be in. Also, it's really encouraging to see that all types of drawing/writing are stages of emergent writing, making it all important! - No matter if it is even "scribbles".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed your photo showing the different stages of learning to read. Allowing children to know that any kind of writing is a great start for learning to write correctly. I didn't really focus on that part of the article, but it was interesting to hear your point of view.

    ReplyDelete